Tuesday, January 18, 2011

How do I avoid burnout?

Ms. Dorothy,
I know I'm new, and I know it will get easier, but this job is SO HARD! I'm exhausted all the time, and I feel like I"m always behind. How do you keep your energy up for the kids and stay on top of all that needs to be done? I don't know if I can keep doing this! Help!
-New Teacher

The first year teaching is unbelievably hard and it is easy to get overwhelmed.  Hang in there and don't give up yet!


One thing you need to know is that t
here will always be one more thing you could do. Always.

Make a running to do list, and keep it current by adding new items as you cross off others. Keep a journal of your progress and how much you have learned from your students. 


Keeping your energy up is really about focus. When you give your attention and energy to the kids and the learning, instead of to the curriculum and the teaching, you will find you have much more energy. 


What you teach, and how you teach will always take your energy. Who you teach brings you back to why you teach, and that is what will give you back your energy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?